Cheese and chicken tortellini with bacon, onion and tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 290 g bacon, coarsely diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- .25 kg Kumato® tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano or basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 450-575 g of tortellini stuffed with cheese and chicken, prepared
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, then add the bacon and fry over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the fat begins to render.
- Add the onions, and leave until the bacon is fried and the onions have started to caramelise, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add garlic and leave for 2-3 minutes. Peel the Kumato® tomatoes, remove the pulp, chop and add to the pan.
- Add the tomato paste and stir vigorously to dissolve.
- Cook the tomatoes over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to release their juices. Cook for 10-25 minutes, or until the tomato pieces have softened and the mixture has thickened.
- Remove pan from heat, immediately adding the herbs and spices, and stir.
- Prepare the tortellini according to the instructions on the packet and arrange them on pasta plates.
- Spoon the hot tomato sauce over the pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- If desired, sprinkle chopped herbs on top. Serve immediately.
Stand out with original serving ideas
This sauce can be served with any type of tortellini, such as 4 cheese, or with any other type of pasta. It is also an excellent accompaniment to grilled chicken breasts or hamburgers, in place of ketchup.
Garnish with the chopped herbs listed above (optional).