Grilled chicken with roasted tomatoes in pesto sauce
- 1-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 roasted chicken breasts, about 100 g each
- 4 slices of provolone, muenster or Monterey jack cheese
- 4 large ciabatta or focaccia bread rolls, sliced
- 3 Kumato® tomatoes, sliced about 1 cm thick
- 8 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan (optional)
- 8 large fresh basil leaves, stems removed (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) prepared mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
Brush both sides of the chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Grill 6-9 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
Place a slice of cheese on top of each breast and continue to cook over very low heat for another 1 to 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Lightly toast the rolls.
Spread one side of the Kumato® tomato slices with a thick layer of pesto and reserve some pesto for the mayonnaise.
Place the tomatoes with the pesto side up under the grill, but not directly beneath the heat.
Leave for 2-3 minutes, or until the tomatoes have softened and absorbed some of the pesto.
Sprinkle the slices with Parmesan if desired.
To make the sandwich, place the bottom of the roll on a plate and top with 2 slices of tomato with pesto, the chicken, 2 more tomato slices, and garnish with 2 basil leaves if desired.
Mix the mayonnaise with the rest of the pesto and spices and spread a thin layer of this mixture on the rolls.
Serve the sandwiches hot, with some extra sauce on the side.
Stand out with original serving ideas
Several varieties of cheese would taste great with this delightful chicken sandwich— your choice!
After toasting the rolls, spread both sides with a layer of goat's cheese. Rocket, lettuce or fresh spinach leaves can be substituted for the basil leaves.
If you can't find ciabatta or focaccia, any toasted hamburger bun will do.